Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Decision made

In anticipation of my cycle starting next week and going forward with the transfer of our three frozen blasts, Mr. Jem and I decided to do the FET the week of Dec 28, even tho Dr. W will be on vacation and Dr. Alternative will (probably) be the one doing it.

Reasons for doing this:
1) FET less of a hassle than a fresh cycle, as I won't be stimulated. Boy was I hyper-stimulated last time... yuck.
2) I'll already be on vacation and won't have to take additional days off.
3) Won't have to explain to my boss AGAIN about needing time off for female issues
4) We've already reached our medical deductible for the year.
5) Dr. W will do another mock transfer next week to map out my lady-bizness
6) Dr. Alternative will have Dr. W's notes, plus as she's already been up in there, she should now have a better idea of my who-ha and it should be less painful this time (see reason 1)
7) Dr. W reassured us that all the doctors at the clinic have the same success rate.

There. Decision made. Boy does it feel good to make a decision. It's not the ideal situation, but it should work. One question we asked was, "Are we doing everything possible to make sure we have a positive outcome?" There is no medical reason why Dr. Alternative shouldn't do this procedure.

Now, if it doesn't work, then I'm sure we'll blame ourselves, "We should have waited for Dr. W!" But who knows at this point. It's only the transfer, not the retrieval!

Have any of you had decisions like this that you either regretted or not afterwards?

Wish us luck!

9 comments:

Priscilla said...

Thank you so much for your very sweet comment on my blog. Somehow getting congratulated by other IFers means MORE than the friends who don't know the struggle of IVF (though I would never tell them that.) So THANK YOU!!

I look forward to reading through your blog! And I'll be following you through your upcoming FET...wishing you all the luck possible for success this time around!! XX

K said...

I think you have to look at the decision that you are making right now and don't look back. This is the right decision for this moment, and it makes sense. You're making your choice with all the information you have available to you *right now*. Monday morning quarterbacking does no good.

And who knows, Dr. Alternative might just be good luck. ;)

irrationalexuberance said...

I'm glad you are out of the throes of "we have to make a decision" and have decided on a path ahead. It's nearly impossible not to second guess, but it sounds like it makes perfect sense. Congrats!

Noelle said...

I think it sounds like a wonderful decision. Your reasons are all very clear and justified. I hope that you can find some peace in it.

Mad Hatter said...

I think it is a great decision. And I am crossing everything that it is successful and that you will be filled with joy afterwards!
Love,
Maddy

egghunt said...

good on you for making this decision, it sounds like you've thought about everything really well and there is NO way you should regret the decision. I was very skeptical about having a different RE do my retrieval this time but it turned out I liked the different perspective he gave me and now I find myself realising i have TWO REs that I really like! So you may just find that your Dr Alternative becomes your favourite! Good luck!!

callmemama said...

Congrats on making the decision! I think it sounds like the right one, given the info you had to work with.

Good luck! You're less than 3 weeks away!

IF Optimist, then... said...

I think you have made an excellent and well-thought out decision. I think that it's a good idea if you really trust your doctor, then you should also trust his faith in his colleagues. I always think that the transfer is not the magic, it's what those little embies start to do once they are in the right place that makes the big difference. Don't beat yourself up. You are doing everything you can. Good luck.

Good Egg Hunting said...

Hi there -- thanks for your comment on my blog! I agree with the previous commenter -- the transfer is definitely a science, vs. an art. There's only one way to put those snowbabies in, then it's up to them to do their thing! At my clinic you don't know who from the team will do your retrieval or transfer until the day before...if you get your own doctor it's just coincidence/luck. I had who I consider the least desirable doctor for my first IVF transfer, and I still got pregnant. The pregnancy was not good, but I know that has nothing to do with the transfer -- it was the egg/embryo quality. I think if factors are telling you that the timing is good to move forward, you should do so regardless of who will do the actual procedure! Trust your instincts. Best of luck!