Monday, August 24, 2009

Pregnant ladies everywhere!

Saturday Mr. Jem and two friends (one guy and one girl) went to Great America. I bought the tickets 6 weeks ago and we were all really excited to go on all the thrill rides.

Saturday rolls around, and the girl keeps begging off riding the rides. It becomes obvious that something is up. We look at the signs in front of each ride: there are pictures of a person with a hurt neck, another with a hurt back, another wrapped up (recent surgery), and a pregnant baby. My DH blurts out, "You aren't pregnant, are you?" And our friend says, "Yes. I didn't want to say anything as I'm only 7 weeks along, but I can't lie."

Oh, boy.

That's almost as good as the time I traveled cross country to visit and friend (from college) who I hadn't seen for years and she opens her front door with a huge belly. She neglected to tell me she was knocked up. I wanted to cry the whole dinner.

Have any of you been surprised with knocked up friends?

Jem

7 comments:

Pie said...

Surprised, no. Crushed, jealous, angry, sad? Most definitely. I'm to the point that when I see a pregnant lady on the street, my automatic thought is "I hate you." Not nice, but it also makes me smile because it is so wrong.

Pie said...

And the comment you left on my blog made me LOL! Too funny, thanks for the laugh!

Jem said...

You are very welcome! Thanks for your post. It made me feel better about hating my dear friend for a milisecond!

She's 41 and her pregnancy was a total "oops!"

Poppet said...

In our family it's usually that people turn down a drink that is the giveaway...

Don't worry, jealousy of our college friends' acheivements is part life. Consider yourself normal.

Jem said...

Thanks, Poppet (have to get used to calling you that!)! You know I'm a more than little envious of your situation. In a good way.

You are also so right about turning down alcohol. That's a sure give-away! I hope to totally give myself away one day by turning down a drink! I girl can hope!!

Jem

'Murgdan' said...

Friends. Sisters.

I'm amazed my own mother hasn't gotten pregnant since we've been trying.

Jem said...

Mrgdan - your mom? Oh, you're joking!