Sunday, June 3, 2012

Body Snatcher

Dear readers,

Please, please forgive my absence from the cyberworld. I've been busy being a mom. I'm lucky if I get a shower, get fully dressed and/or fed myself. I can usually do one or two things outside the home per day. Last week we actually took Rosie out for a walk in the stroller. I started the "Mommy and Me" group Tuesday. It was great to meet with other new moms, share stories. I took a walk and had lunch with one of the other moms. Delish.

My spirits are good. I am loving being a mother, changing diapers, nursing on demand, sleeping when I can. 

My body is slowly shrinking back to pre-pregnancy weight. I've lost over 30 pounds in the last 5 weeks. I'm eating very healthfully, and have started walking more with Rosie. It feels good to get out, see more friends, etc. 

Oh, and other good thing: our cat Sharky is slowly adapting to Rosie's presence. Don't worry, he's never alone with her!

Only bummer: Thrush. Rosie doesn't have any symptoms, but I sure do. It feels like there are needles being inserted down my nipples. I have to treat them after each feeding, and usually do, except in the middle of the night when we both fall asleep after nursing. I'm rinsing with diluted vinegar and then using a topical antifungal and then wiping them down with a wet paper towel before nursing again. Rinse and repeat. I change out my towel daily, wash my hands often and I'm trying to cut down on sugar.

I would love any advice on Thrush / yeast. Internets?

~Jem

7 comments:

Heather said...

Gentrian violet. I found it at target. I also had a raging case of thrush. I ended up taking 10 days of diflucan and using GV. Check out Dr. Jack Newman's book on breastfeeding. It was like my BFing bible. He also recommends using grapefruit seed extract, but be sure to really dilute it or it will burn. Also get a prescription for all purpose nipple ointment. It has an antifungal that will help keep it at bay once you get it under control. Many yeast varieties are resistant to the standard nystatin treatment. I had a heck of a time getting my OB to prescribe enough diflucan to actually treat the yeast. If you have a breastfeeding clinic with a doctor that would be your best bet.

Good luck!

Kristina said...

Glad to hear from you and that all's well!! (except the thrush- sorry about that). Sounds like you're immersed in new mom-ness and going with the flow. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Coconut oil is a natural anti-fungal - you and baby can take it internally as well as applying it on the nipples. I know you definitely have to treat you AND baby otherwise it'll just keep coming back. Thrush is a beyotch - so sorry you're dealing with that right now :(.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Hey... It's been a while (I've been super lame on the commenting end of things for the last few weeks).

First up, let me say congrats on Rosie!! So glad to hear that you and she are both doing so well (thrush not withstanding).

Breastfeeding hasn't been going so well for us, but I was kind of expecting that. I don't have any experience with thrush, except to say that I am terrified of it. I hope that you are able to find a good solution quickly.

N said...

I, sadly am the thrush queen. I had it with both of my girls. Each time I had to take fluconazole. The first child for 6 weeks or so the second child 11 weeks. Ughhh.
Here is a snippet from my post on it. I've closed my blog but if you want to see the whole thing email me at sometimessurprised@gmail.com and I will give you access.
Here is my current DAILY regime to rid myself of the he.ll called can.dida:
2 fluco.nazole (150 mg each)
6 grap.efruit seed extract (GSE)
2 probio.tic pills
Dilution of GSE applied to nipples after feeding FOLLOWED by all purpose nipple ointment. (6 or so time per day)

N said...

Also ditto what Heather said. Jack Newman rocks! I've even emailed him a bit. Fluconazole is diflucan.

Kristen {www.buckupbuttercup.net} said...

Glad to hear you so happy! And I totally know what you mean about no time for anything. Good luck with the thrush...sounds awful...hope you get it under control...